FIDIC is a global organization with 102 Member Associations representing countries from all regions of the world. In English, the name of the organization translates to the International Federation of Consulting Engineers, and it comprises national organizations representing over 40,000 firms throughout the world. The American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) is the US Member Association.
Since March, FIDIC has issued COVID-19 updates to keep members and other stakeholders in the design and construction process updated on actions that are addressing the challenges associated with the pandemic. FIDIC also hosts webinars for firms in its Member Associations and offers publications on how the pandemic can be addressed in contractual modifications, all of which are available through their COVID-19 resource page.
Recently, the FIDIC Risk, Liability & Quality Committee issued a “guidance memorandum” that provides an overview of risks and measures firms can take during and after the pandemic. It provides a checklist of items that should be reviewed and actions firms can take to practice safely during COVID-19 disruptions. Topics include:
- Loss of communication channels
- Over delivery or inclusion of non-essential tasks
- Problems with PPE and/or specific equipment
- Contact with contaminated persons
- Direct and indirect contact
- Personnel transport/office housing
- Site inductions and hazard identification
- Personal hygiene/equipment cleaning
- Emergency attendance and response at site
Leave a Reply